Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011 Wrap Up


I reached my goal of 100 books today! 2011 was a great year for reading. I fell in love with so many new books, met so many new friends through discussion of those books (libraryofminds and annaetc come to mind!), and really began enjoying the Fantasy genre. My Top Five books of the year are books that I would recommend to everyone.
  1. A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin… the series that made me fall in love with Fantasy and as a result opened up so many new worlds to me; one of those worlds being this land of ice and fire, filled with such strong and deeply flawed characters. Storm of Swords is my favorite because of the growth of Jaime Lannister and the story of Brienne of Tarth, Arya Stark’s journey, the shocking RW, and much more.
  2. Fire by Kristen Cashore… a book that showed me that there are many ways to be strong, and that showing emotions and caring for others doesn’t mean you can’t be a hero, in fact it makes you one. This book also approached rape culture in a way that didn’t make me feel like it was being included merely to shock.
  3. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern… a book that transported me, if only for a little while, to a new world filled with circus tents, dreamers, and the feeling that magic can exist if you want it to.
  4. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver… a book that broke my heart, made me question the way I walk through the world, deepened my belief in the importance of YA books, and also made me question why all writers can’t write like Lauren Oliver can write. 
  5. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien… the book that reminds me that above all else literature should show the importance of friendship and loyalty instead of consistently veering off course to focus on romance. A book that introduced me to a world I would love to live in, filled with creatures of many different races who have come together for the greater good. A book that feels something like home.
Thanks to everyone who started following my blog this year. It means a lot to me to have a place where I can talk about books with people who feel the same way about them as I do. Happy New Year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Sing Me to Sleep kit by NewlifeDreamDesigns