Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: Stardust by Neil Gaiman


Finished: July 30, 2011

Synopsis: Tristan Thorn has promised the lady he loves that he will go beyond the Wall and retrieve for her the falling star that has just fallen from the sky. If he can accomplish his task she promises him his heart’s desire. Hoping for her hand in marriage Tristan immediately sets out on his journey. No members of their town ever venture beyond the Wall except to attend the enchanted flea market that is held every nine years. During his adventure he meets several interesting characters along the way in the magical land of Faerie.

 Thoughts: I went into Stardust with high expectations. I had heard a lot of praise for this book and I think it definitely lived up to its reputation. I thought it was whimsical and clever and also horrific at times. A book with this premise could easily have fallen into the trap of being too cutesy for its own good, but Gaiman walks this line easily, and never pushes the reader into eye-rolling territory.

Neil Gaiman is a superb writer. He definitely has his own style that sets him apart from other writers and I can see why he is so adored. This is only my second novel from him (Coraline was the other) and I think I will be picking up another from him very soon. Perhaps Neverwhere 

Rating:


4/5 Coffees

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Sing Me to Sleep kit by NewlifeDreamDesigns