Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


Finished: September 17, 2011

Synopsis: As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive. [via goodreads]

Thoughts: I absolutely adored this book. The creepy vintage photographs (real photographs that various collectors have found) were a wonderful addition to the story. I am so glad that the author came up with that idea for this book. They fit so perfectly in between the pages that it’s hard to imagine the story being told without them.

While I didn’t feel very connected to the main character (which could just be because I’m a female in my mid-twenties and he is a teenage boy) I was so intrigued by most of the kids from Miss Peregrine’s Home. There is a moment where some of their back stories are mentioned in passing, and I couldn’t help but think what a missed opportunity it had been, to ignore the possibility to explore these children’s lives further. I’ve read that there will be a sequel and I am very excited to see what that brings to the table. I am hoping that it might even be told through the perspective of one of the other Peculiar characters. I think Emma would make a very interesting narrator and would be able to give us more insight into the other children from the Home as well.

This book has a few minor flaws (the romance is a little bit… awkward? odd? peculiar?), and it isn’t the very best book I’ve ever read, but I would definitely recommend it. It’s a very enjoyable read and reminiscent of X-Men, but the photographs make it into something much more interesting, despite the similarities. 

Can’t wait for the sequel. Unfortunately, it appears it won’t be out until 2013? Such a long wait.

Rating:





Four out of Five Coffees

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Sing Me to Sleep kit by NewlifeDreamDesigns