Sunday, January 8, 2012

Busting the Newbie Blues: Questionnaire



Busting the Newbie Blues is an event hosted by Small Review that was created to encourage new bloggers and to inspire interaction between new and old bloggers in the blogging community. I've decided to submit the answers to the Newbie questionnaire. Head on over to Small Review if you'd like to join!

When did you start your blog? 

I started my blog at Tumblr in May of 2011, but didn't start posting regularly until later in the year. I moved over to blogger this past week. 
Why did you start your blog?

I wanted a space to host my feelings about books and to meet others to discuss books with. I've made tons of online friends just by discussing a book or a series that we both enjoyed.
What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far?

One of the biggest challenges is finding the motivation to post when I'm feeling less inspired. Sometimes I experience writers block when it comes to reviews, or life distracts me. So I would say the biggest challenge is trying to balance things so that my blog remains active even when I'm lacking inspiration.
What do you find most discouraging about being a new blogger?

Hmm, it can be very discouraging when posts receive no comments. You may gain followers through doing things like memes and hops, but that doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is reading your posts. It can feel like I'm talking to myself at times. That's been the discouraging part for me. At the end of the day I continue on because I've just got so much to say about books, and I want to save that somewhere, even if I'm just posting it for me.
What do you find most encouraging?

I find it encouraging when people take the time to discuss books with me, or when someone stumbles upon a book they like after hearing about it through my review. I love to share books with people and I really love the fellow bloggers I've met, who have been especially fun to talk to and kind. 
What do you like best about the blogs you read? Have you tried to replicate this in your blog? 

I love bloggers that take time to really discuss everything they didn't like or did like about a book. It's always nice when they add a personal touch to their review as well that makes it stand out. I do try to replicate this. I want my reviews to come across as well written but I also want them to include my personality and passionate ramblings.
What do you dislike about blogs you’ve read? Do you try to avoid this? 

I don't like when book summaries are the bulk of someone's review. Before I started actively blogging I wrote a few reviews like this, with just a paragraph or so about my feelings on the book, but now that I blog I try not to do that. Sometimes there isn't a lot to say about a particular book, but I try to give the post as much meat as possible, and break down my likes and dislikes.
Any advice for other new bloggers?

Joining memes is always a good idea and a fun way to interact with other bloggers. I don't do them regularly, because I mostly enjoy just posting reviews, but they are definitely a good idea and a great way to get involved in the community.
Any questions you'd like to ask newbie or established bloggers? 

1) Do you think it's necessary to do frequent contests on your blog to build your blog up? I see so many contests around the blog world all the time and I think they're fun, but I just don't have the funds to do more than a couple, and at the end of the day I want more people to discuss books with, not just numbers, ya know? 2) When does a review reach the point where it's too spoilery to you? It's hard to find the line sometimes between detailed review and a review that gives too much away.
Is there anything you’d like to tell us about your blog? Feel free to link a few of your favorite posts or posts you wish had more comments.

My blog was just moved over from Tumblr this week so all of my previous followers and comments are not represented here. I would love more discussion on any of my reviews! :)

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
     
    Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Sing Me to Sleep kit by NewlifeDreamDesigns